REMOVING ANTS ON LAPTOP KEYBOARD
Having ants on laptop keyboards, on your Mac Book, laptop, or a desktop, can cause a problem when not treated accordingly. They may damage the components of these electronic devices hence may lead to the need for a replacement.
Common Reasons Why There Are Ants In The Laptop keyboard
Can Ant Causes Harm
Removing Ants Naturally
Use Of Chemicals
Taking The Device To The Service Center
COMMON REASONS WHY THERE ARE ANTS IN THE LAPTOP KEYBOARD
If there are ants in the laptop keyboards, it is easier for them to get to the internal parts of your device. When there is low performance, strange behavior of the system and working differently, and there are ants nearby, suspect of infestation on your device.
The first thing to consider why there are ants in the laptop keyboard is there maybe food crumbs around the working area or at the laptop keyboard itself. Or it was held using greasy hands. Or there are spills of soda or coffee on the device.
When using the device at night without proper lights, insects tend to gather at the laptop screen. Some of them may have been trapped and died and went to the laptop keyboard spaces. They serve as food for the ants.
Another one reason, ants may have decided to stay on the laptop keyboard. There is a theory that ants are attracted to electronic devices, especially the crazy ants, because of the heat that electronics produced. The heat is suitable for their nesting. And not only the heat but the structural design of electronics that provides protection and warmth for them.
Experts thought that when an ant dies because of electrocution inside the device, it sends alarm pheromones to other ants that will make them rush to the area, knowing that the sender is under attack. Pheromones are chemicals from the body that creates a response from members of the same species.
With the design of computer devices that has holes and cavities, ants may see it as a protected place so no one can harm or kill them.
Can Ant Causes Harm
If ants get into the laptop keyboard, trapped and electrocuted, it will damage the internal circuit of the laptop keyboard leading to the malfunction of the keys.
If ants get killed inside the internal parts like the motherboard and processor, this will damage the entire circuit board and cause the device to malfunction. Laptops may not start due to electrical failure in severe cases.
REMOVING ANTS NATURALLY ON LAPTOP KEYBOARDS
Many prefer natural remedies because of the danger caused by chemicals. But it can only be used when it is not a massive infestation.
1. Lure ants out of the laptop keyboard with something sweet that is available in the kitchen; sugar, honey, peanut butter. Put half tablespoon of sugar in a bowl and place it near the laptop or laptop keyboard. Ants will eventually go out from the laptop keyboard when they smell food. Monitor it. Do not let them go back to the device. Swipe them off or vacuum them. If the bait is full of ants, flush it with water. May repeat the process until ants are all gone.
2. Vaccum them just above the laptop keyboard so as not to damage it and at slow speed. Sometimes, ants may keep coming out after the first vacuum. Just continue vacuuming until no ants come out, but do have some rest intervals.
3. Put some citrus peels near the laptop, but not directly on it. The smell may cause ants to get out of the device. Others use essential oils. Put some drops in a cotton ball and place it near the laptop. Others had tried mothballs if there are no kids or pets around as they are dangerous.
4. If ants are just a number, shake the laptop. Some flip it and shake. It may scare those ants, and they will start coming out. It is easier if it’s a desktop laptop keyboard, just detached the laptop keyboard, and take out keys one by one then clean the laptop keyboard.
REMOVING ANTS USING CHEMICALS
Sometimes, it’s hard to use chemicals, especially if there are kids or pets in the house. It poses a great danger to them, especially smaller ones. When choosing chemicals, make sure that kids will not be around in that area. Take all the precautions. Read directions carefully and adhere to safety protocols.
1. Borax – Mix it with anything sweet, common are sugar and honey. Mix until it is syrup syrup-like. Leave the mixture near the laptop overnight. Ants inside the laptop keyboards will smell the sweet aroma and eventually gets out of the laptop keyboard and eat the bait. Dead ants will be around after a few hours.
2. Insect dust – Sprinkle the powder around the laptop, not on top. The dust may cause damage when it gets to the inside components of the laptop keyboard or the computer.
Another way to use this bait is to get any piece of paper that can fit your laptop keyboard, or the laptop can fit on if it is open. Put an ample amount of powder on the paper, and place it on the table or any steady ground. Make sure the laptop keyboard or device is facing downward.
Again, when using chemical-based items, take all the necessary precautions before and after use. It is for the safety of all.
TAKE IT TO THE SERVICE CENTER
Taking your device to the service center is the best thing to do, especially if it’s a Mac Book or laptop. They are adept and equipped to open and clean the device. It costs money, but it’s better than doing it yourself that may cost more labor, time, energy, money, and even the device itself. They can also give you tips for future references to keep bugs out of the laptop.
No one wants ants in laptop keyboards, mostly inside of the laptops, Mac Book, or desktops. Such devices are necessary for entertainment, games, and work. To keep away those ants from devices or prevent them from invading laptop keyboards again, exercise preventive measures.
- Stop the source of food – Eating at the laptop or near the device is unintentionally resupplying food for the ants. It’s not only the food crumbs that matters but also the food grease or oil. Make it a point to eat away from the working area.
- Clean the laptop keyboards or laptop regularly if eating near the area can not be avoided.
- Wash hands or disinfect hands before handling devices to remove any food grease or crumbs.
- Use a laptop keyboard and screen protector.
- Relocate the device if there are ants in the present area or at the laptop.
- Use laptops or place desktops in an area that has proper lighting so as not to attract night flies. If there is a need to use it in a dark place, open the first another source of light. If none, make sure to clean devices immediately after use.
- Regularly inspect the computer device, computer table, and the area around for any presence of pests.
- Keep the work area clean or wherever the laptop or Mac Book is used or placed.
- Have regular maintenance of laptops. Open and clean it once a year, and whenever it is necessary.